The struggles and triumphs of my small slice of the ocean. *Still under construction*

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Some info about my setup.


I realize I never did a build thread and I kind of regret not documenting all the things that went into putting this tank together. So I'll go ahead and list the equipment I'm using and so forth.

  • Lighting - T5 flourescent. 6 total bulbs, 4 are overdriven on an Icecap 660 the remaining 2 are on an advance ballast.
  • Bulbs - 2 ATI blue plus, 2 ATI blue plus special, 1 ATI pro color, 1 ATI actinic
  • Skimmer - as pictured above, Reef Octopus Extreme 160. Absolutely awesome skimmer and comes with a meshmod or needlewheel.
  • Flow - 2 Vortech MP-40w. One on each end on surge mode such that I get a nice lil wave action going on.
The tank itself is acrylic and is 60 x 17.5 x 17.5. I think that equates to around 80+ gallons or so. The overflow is external as I attached an acrylc box to the outside and simply drilled some slits into the back of the acrylic wall with a dremel.

The sump and refugium are both just 4 dollar containers from the container store's bargain section. I have a 150 watt halide on the refugium as well as 2 54 watt T5 lamps. I grow mangroves, cheato , and calurpa. There is a small section of the refugium that is also a "frag tank" of sorts for the time being. I'm going to be adding a new frag tank shortly that will be plumbed into my main system.

No comments: